Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Guava Nectar: A Pantry Favorite

For quite some time, I've been using the cans of Jumex Guava Nectar that I've been able to find at Kroger and Walmart for less than 50 cents a can.  On a recent trip to a Dollar Tree store, I was very excited to find the boxed (larger than the cans) of Jumex Guava Nectar.  If you are not familiar with Dollar Tree stores, all of their items cost one dollar or less.

So what exactly does one do with guava nectar?  Lots of things... One of my tricks to making better tasting cake from a mix is to substitute guava nectar (or another fruit juice) for the water.  I also like to use it in marinades/brines.  Some of the best homeade baked ribs I've done yet were marinated overnight in a brine of sorts made with guava nectar.  I boiled a box of guava nectar with equal parts of water that contained some sea salt, brown sugar, freshly cracked pepper, and cumin seeds until the salt disolved.  Then I cooled it down quickly with some ice and poured it over my prepped spare ribs in my Tupperware Season 'N Serve.  After the ribs marinated, I dried them off and rubbed them with my Smokey Sweet Sand before baking.  I've also used guava nectar with pork steaks and chicken. 

Jumex also makes other nectar that's pretty good and can be used the same way.  I'm somewhat partial to the guava nectar, but I do sometimes use the mango and guanabana nectars.  At Walmart, I've found the cans in the juice section of the store.  In Kroger, they are usually by the Mexican food.  I believe they were by other juices at Dollar Tree.



Pictured:  Jumex Mango Nectar--the Guava Nectar comes in the same type of box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment