Tuesday, March 20, 2012

From Day Old Bread to Pizza Subs...

I needed a quick dinner the other night.  So, I checked my freezer for inspiration. Fortunately, I keep a stash of frozen day old bread from grocery clearance carts. I thawed out my bolillo bread rolls, cut each in half lengthwise, and placed them onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. While I preheated the oven to 350 degrees Fairenheit, I made a quick pizza sauce by simmering tomato sauce, a healthy shake of the Tupperware Simple Indulgence Italian Seasoning, a few fennel seeds, about 2 teaspoons of sugar, a pinch of sea salt, and a bit of garlic powder. Then I spread my pizza sauce onto the bread halves and sprinkled each half with mozzarella cheese. I put mushrooms on a couple of the halves (only my portion as the kids won't touch them...) and topped each half with pepperoni. I baked The pizza sub halves just until the cheese melted. Once they were out of the oven, I put the halves together.  Not bad for saving time and money.  To make six pizza subs, I used a $1.00 package of bolillo rolls, two 33 cent cans of tomato sauce, about half a bag of mozzarella cheese that cost around $2.00 on sale, a can of 59 cent mushrooms, and a package of $1.00 pepperoni.  Final cost:  under $1.00 per pizza sub. 

No comments:

Post a Comment